Job Club Workshops, Spring 2012
Spring 2012 Job Club Workshops begin January 23rd.
These sessions are designed for:
Students interested in Co-op or Internships and/or are planning to attend the Spring Job Fair on Feb. 29, 2012.
December, May and summer graduates looking for full-time positions.
MMAC students wishing to complete the BTS 300 requirement (must attend at least two sessions).
AFIS Students must register for BTS 300 in EKU Direct AND at the event to receive credit for BTS 300.
Days/Dates: Mondays, January 23rd, 30th, February 6th, 13th, and 20th.
Time: 4:45 to 5:45 p.m.
Location: Business & Technology Center Auditorium, BTC 049 (Lake Level)
To Register for the Job Club, contact
Mr. Jim Fisher, Co-op Coordinator, Jim.Fisher@eku.edu
Sign-up sheets: Outside BTC 116
1/23/12 - Beginning Your Job Search. Topics include:
- Elements of a successful search
- What constitutes a competitive applicant
- Balance in your presentation
- Identifying sources of job search information
- Tracking your employment efforts
- Information Interviewing
- Caution concerning social networking sites
1/30/12 - Targeted Resumes and Cover Letters. Applicant generated job search materials that produce results including:
- Constructing a results-oriented resume
- Effective resume examples
- What to include if your resume is 'resume light'
- A format for cover letters that markets YOUR individual qualifications
- Other job search correspondence
2/6/12 - Interview Dos and Don’ts with Burke Christensen. Suggestions to make your interview experience a success including:
- What not to do in interviews
The how, when, where and why of interviewing
Sample interview questions
Behavioral based interviewing
The value of practice interviews
Post interview notes-last chance to make the sale
2/13/12 - Uncovering Job Leads. This session will identify a multi-step process for finding opportunities and exploring a variety of job sources including:
- Monster, newspapers, etc.
Career Services - a great resource for leads
Company web sites and professional associations
Bluegrass Works and other job posting sites
Third party recruiters
Networking and Social Media - LinkedIn and Facebook
2/20/12 - Elevator Speeches and Networking @ Career Fairs. The Spring Career Fair will be Feb. 29, 2012 from 2:00 to 4:00 pm in the Perkins Building. This session will focus on:
- Defining and creating your elevator speech—the who, what, when, where, and why of these encounters
- Why employers attend Career Fairs--What they look for in candidates
- Increasing your chances of success:
- Planning your event and researching employers
- How to dress, and what to bring with you
- Business cards, taking notes, and follow-up
Mr. Jim Fisher
Published on January 17, 2012